CDC celebrates Earth Day 2011: It's Easy Being Green!
Supporting a Healthy Planet
In order to maintain our own ability to thrive and live healthy lives, we must take actions that promote and maintain the health of our environment. Listen to Liz York, CDC's Chief Sustainability Officer, discuss tips for environmental stewardship in the Supporting a Healthy Planet [PODCAST - 08:43 minutes].
Consider these actions for supporting a healthy environment:
- Turn off your computer. Save energy by turning off your computer each night when you leave the office and at home when your computer is not in use. Check out these energy-saving tips from the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Turn off the lights. When you are the last to leave a room, turn off the lights to save energy.
- Take the stairs. Increase the amount of physical activity in your day and reduce the amount of energy used in elevators. Learn more about using the stairwell for better health.
Reduce your impact through purchasing.
- Choose recycled content. Whenever possible, buy or request materials that are recycled, biodegradable, or remanufactured.
- Choose products that conserve energy and water. Products labeled Energy Star and WaterSense can help you reduce your energy and water use.
- Purchase less. Carefully evaluate your needs before making a purchase; only buy products that are necessary.
Reuse and Recycle.
- Recycle. Recycle at home and learn about your workplace recycling program. Take steps to properly dispose of waste.
- Reuse products. Consider donating products that are still in good working order to a local school or charity.
- Bring your own cups and dishes. Bring your own reusable cups, dishes, and flatware to cafeterias or when you bring your lunch from home. These practices help reduce the amount of waste produced at your home or workplace.
Get email updates
To receive email updates about this page, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO